I like to believe I was meant to host parties, or at least make the food for them! I don’t often have parties, but sometimes catch a fever to plan them! So, what I came up with was making homemade chips and dip as an appetizer! The dip recipe I found at the blog The Cutting Edge of Ordinary for “Maui Onion Dip.” I didn’t have Maui onions, so I chose to use what I had on hand. The chips I make all the time, the trick is getting them thin enough and baked long enough to be crispy!
Sour Cream Onion Dip
2 tblspn. Olive Oil
1 large White Onion, thinly sliced
1 c. Sour Cream
1/2 c. Buttermilk
1 tspn. Salt
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil. When warm, add onions and caramelize. This will take about 20 minutes.
2. Put onions in a container and cool in the refrigerator.
3. Once onions have cooled, place in blender along with the remainder of ingredients.
*I didn’t have buttermilk, so this is what I did. Add 1 tblspn. of lemon juice in on cup of milk, and let sit for 5 minutes.
4. Blend ingredients together and place in serving dish.
5. You may make dip ahead of time, and place in refrigerator until time to serve!
Homemade Potato Chips
4 large potatoes
1/4 c. oil
Directions – preheat to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
1. Clean potatoes and clean if you choose.
2. Cut potatoes into thin slices. (use a knife, or you can use a slicer that may be an option on your grater or food processor)
3. Soak in a bowl of water for at least 15 minutes. I do this with french fries too, it keeps the potatoes from being too starchy.
4. Rinse and dry sliced potatoes, then put them in a bowl and toss with oil.
5. Spread out on a rimmed cookie sheet or cake pan, bake for 20 minutes or until crispyy and and golden brown.
6. Let cool and serve!
Now, this chips may be slightly different than those found in a bag. You can get closer results if you fry them in oil on the stove top or with a ‘fry-daddy’ type device. Personally, I feel more comfortable with baking, but it is your decision. I hope you enjoy and try this recipe for your next party or when you are craving chips and dip!
We want to know:
-What is your favorite snack food or party appetizer?